Monday, July 13, 2009

I wish these were peanuts

Long back I had read a story, where a couple, recently married were broke, the guy is holding a handful of peanuts and says I wish these were diamonds.

Gradually times changed and the couple became rich, and after a long while, the guy has a handful of diamonds in his hands and he says I wish these were peanuts. I have frankly never been able to completely understand this short story.

But I have my own twist to this I wish story.. Few years back when I had just started working and the internet was a new technology..I was awed by the speed with which emails could be delivered. It almost felt like one is chatting/talking to your friends.
Those days, all of us were freshers, we had lot to achieve, lot of work to be done, and time to spend with friends was scarce. During those days I would wish for more time.

Now, when we are all settled in our careers (I would love to presume that), we seem to be having all the time in the world, but alas, we dont have that similar zeal to make new friends/keep talking endlessly and I am tempted to say, I wish I had the same zeal/enthu !!

Is it any similar to the i wish these were peanuts story !! :( not sure

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In the beginning when they were starting out their marriage with very little wealth, he could only afford to give her peanuts and wished they could be expensive diamonds. As the years quickly passed and he could afford the diamonds, he realized that most of their lives had passed them by. At that time, he wished the diamonds he could now afford to give her were peanuts. Thus saying that he wished he could spend all those years with her again.
While living our daily lives, most all people are busy striving to gain more wealth and/or substance. When we get to the end of our lives we look back and realize that the most valuable thing we ever possessed was time itself and we would trade it all back to gain the experience all over again to spend it with the one we loved. I would never change a thing because I love how my life turned out with my wife of 37 years at this time. At 60 years old, I look back and wonder how all those years flew by. Seems as though just yesterday I was the age of my youngest son (22) and starting my adult life with my wife. Hope this sheds some light on the subject. Be Blessed in All Your endeavors.