I mean the journey can be beautiful, but if I dont reach my destination then what is the purpose/benefit of a nice journey, after all I need to achieve my objective ?
But a couple of times I have noticed, that mid way my destination changes or the initial objective no longer holds any meaning which made me realise well maybe, after all its the journey which matters more than the destination ?.
Let me give an example, just a few years ago, I was planning to buy a car, on EMI...and at tht point, that was my single objective, best car at the best possible emi..and only purchasing the car could have made me happy, nothing more nothing less..Finally I managed to get a good deal (atleast it appeared to me at that point in time). I celebrated the day I signed the deal and all was done with.
Cut to two years in future, the same car has become a pain in the neck, I met with a few accidents and spend loads of money to get the car fixed, I am unable to get the car registered in my name and am kind of cursing the day I purchased the car and would be the happiest if I had not purchased the car in the first place !!! That set me wondering a few years back I had given a party when I had purchased the car and now the same thing is making me unhappy !!
Do I really know what is it that I want ? Even if I do know that, many a times circumstances change or maybe my priorities change and what was once coveted becomes something that one starts despising. Hence maybe, there is wisdom in the saying that one should enjoy the journey, who knows or cares where we land ?? !!!
PS: Pl replace the car with something else as applicable in your case, I like me car and wouldnt want to replace it :)
1 comment:
Good you gave a PS here. I was about to harp upon women and cars but know better now :-)
Tis better to travel than to arrive. Well said.. Perhaps it idea is one should not be so focussed on the goal that he forgets the journey to it. The jet setting generation often gets to treat the life as joining the dots. But joining the dots is just the macro picture... Mona Lisa is not just a collection of pixels. It is in detail that the beauty lies. I remember traveling from Delhi to Chennai in a second class compartment. A journey of 38 hours did tire you but it always gave you the sense of being rooted. The landscape, the people, the smells, the foods, the graffiti on the wall kept changing all the way and you could relate one place with other and at the same time, got the macro picture. But a flight on the same route does not give you that feeling. You are a projectile now who was just thrown in a new place. You don’t get to absorb anything of the journey that way. However, you save flat 34 hours, which is perhaps more important for most of the people. With trips being made mostly for business and holiday durations getting shorter and shorter for the working people the earlier meaning of travel is lost somewhere. For good or bad is your call
Post a Comment