If she doesn’t have the time to keep in touch, then neither do I.
How many times have we heard this phrase. I think the first time I heard this phrase was around a decade ago.
I was having a casual chat with a friend of mine and we were discussing the whereabouts of our colleagues from office, who has settled where, something like are you in touch with Mr X, Ms Y and so on.
My friend, lets call him Mr H replied, if X doesn’t want to keep in touch with me why should I. Doesn’t this attitude smack of ego ?
All he had to say is that if he doesn’t care about me, neither do I. Friendship rahe na rahe.
I tried reasoning that if X also gives the same argument that H doesn’t want to keep in touch with me, then why should I ? Then what will happen in that case ?
Will this attitude help us to maintain contacts with our friends, colleagues ?
What happens when both the people at their end hold on to this thought? Isnt it much easier to get in touch with your friend and give him/her the
2nd chance / benefit of doubt that he/she might have got caught up with the rigours of daily life?
Is it good that for their entire lives both the people hold on to this view only to realise a little later that, if only I had made that effort to get in touch a little earlier, who knows we could have had a decent friendship all this time?
I think I have managed to change his views..I am sure he will give me the benefit of doubt in future if I don’t respond to his emails..I have given him a lot of 2nd chances :)
2 comments:
It's so true especially in the time we are living in. It is actually sad when we wait for someone else to take the first step. A very thought-provoking post and written beautifully bringing out the nuances quite beautifully! Keep up the good work!!
Hi Akshay, thanks for your comments..I did glance throu yur blogs..nice writing..
And yes most of the ppl these days wait for others to take the first stpes..
Post a Comment